Frederik Dejongh aka Jerboa earned his musical stripes as a turntablist, sampling wizard, composer, recording engineer, producer, and mixing engineer, and has for a while now been working to perfect that all-important final step in the recording process: mastering. You can only be a great mastering engineer when you understand and – uhm – master the whole process that comes before.
Says Frederik: “I’m striving for perfection in everything I do, and mastering is the ultimate in audio. I prefer to embrace the mix with a color that fits the track just perfectly. Instead of reaching for an EQ to adjust frequencies, I like to combine different op-amps, transformers and tubes to do the same thing in a much more pleasing way. I guess you could call it the New York style of mastering. This way of creative mastering takes more time than the classic approach: it’s a premium mastering service. The time is right for this type of mastering in Belgium and Europe. We all like the master sound from overseas, but we don’t have the budget to fly there for every session.”
Some facts about Frederik Dejongh:
Mastered for Absynthe Minded, Adam Emil (DK), The Advent of March, AKS (Addicted Kru Sound), The Akulas, Alex Callier, Alex Germys, Alfredo, Alianza CTG (COL), Alloy (VS), Almymve (NL), Altitude, Altrego, Amalia, Amenra, Anna Rune (NL), Annelie de Vries (NL), An Pierlé, Ansatz Der Maschine, Aquila (FR), Archont, Ashling, Astromancer, Atomic Vulture, Audiophonic!, B (Goose), Baba Yega, Balthazar, Bamako, Bandits, Basta Bla, Beautiful Badness, Beraadgeslagen, The Black Heart Rebellion, The Black Tartan Clan, blackwave., Blindhorses (FR), Bibi Diabokua, Big Time Bossmen, Binkbeats (NL), Binti, Blanche, Bliss, Bond, Bodyspasm, Bonlow, Braem, Bram Weijters Trio, Bratzlavsky, Brihang, Cameleo, Camp Rebecca, Carneia, Cheery-O, Chief (CH), Charlotte, Chassol (FR), Cheap Charly Men, CHVE, The Cinematic Orchestra (UK), Clap! Clap! (UK), Clear Season, Coely, Compact Disk Dummies, Compro Oro, Cornelia Britz, Cortez, Customs, Daniel & Friends, Day Fly (NL), De Hoop, De Piepkes, delvaux., Detales, Dez Mona, Diesel Junk, Dijf Sanders, Dimitri Vegas and Like Mike, Double Veterans, Douglas Firs, Dré Pallemaerts, Dudes of Hazard, Eefje De Visser (NL), EELS (VS), Elefant, Els De Schepper, El One, Embracingfranki, Emptyhead Nation, Equal Idiots, The Error Team, Esther & Fatou, Faisal, Falco Benz (NL), Family Beaches, Few Bits, Fifty Foot Combo, Fodiator, 4thDimension, Frank Deruytter's OTOMachine, Frank Mercelis, Frankie Fame, Freddy Bracker, Frie Maline, Friends In Paris, Frøwst, Fusus (NL), Future Old People Are Wizards, Gangthelabel, The Gaslamp Killer (US), Geert Hellings, The Germans, Gilles Peterson (UK), Glints, Gloria Boateng, The Glücks, Grafgravers, Grimmsons, Guido Belcanto, GumboGumbo, Günther Neefs, Hamster Axis of the one-click Panther, Handkerchief, Helmut Lotti, Helsinki, Henri PFR, Henry Wu (UK), Hermit, HEX (JP), HOAR, Hooverphonic, Huismus, Humble Flirt, Imran Shah, Inn, Internal Sun, Iris, Islasoul, Ivory Caffee (NL), James Francis King, Jill Shaw, Jochen Robberecht, John Detours, Jo Francken, Johan Verckist, Jonwayne (US), Jozef Dumoulin (FR), Kaskade (CAN), Katleen Scheir, Kenji Minogue, Kerkov, Kiss The Anus Of A Black Cat, Koen Gisen, Kontinental Yak (CR), K1D, Kilo Watt (CR) LABtrio, Lalalover, Latin Fusion (COL), Laudener, Left Eye Perspective, LEFTO, Le Manou, Le Motel, Leonore, Lilly Joel, Little Dragon (SE), Liz A Ku, Louie, Lost Chord Radio, LTGL, LUWTEN (NL), Madou, Manoeuvres, Mariana Tootsie, Mark McCabe (IE), Martha, Masilva (COL), MASSIS, Matt Watts, Maverick, Maze, Mc Melodee / La Melodia (NL), The Me In You, Melanie De Biasio, Method Man (US), Meuris, Millionaire, Minor Dux (ES), Mintzkov, The Mixfitz, Modern Art, Momma Said So, MONO/POLY (US), Moodprint, Moonlight Matters, Moonic (CZ), Muerto!, MRBN, Namid, Needle And The Pain Reaction, Netsky, The Next Generation - NXT, The Nice Guys, Nikitch, Nil Miserans, normanhoffman, Oh Thunder (NL), One & One (ARE), Oscar and the Wolf, Ozark Henry, Paper Fox, Paper James, Part Time Punks, Pegassi, Pieter Claus Quartet, Polar Youth, Poldoore, Pomrad, PPWB, Prima Nocta, Protection Patrol Pinkerton, PT Crew, Radio Oorwoud, Rembert De Smet, Rhinos Are People Too, The Rhythm Junks, Ricardo Gonzales, Richie Summers, R.O, Robbing Millions, Rosewater CTZ (DE), Rumours, Saile (UK), Sarah Ferri, Scary Human, Schaduwland, Sea People, Sebastopol, Seed to Tree (LUX), Seiren, SeizoensKlanken, Seven Davis Jr. (US), Shailesh Chandra, Shapeshifted, Shockproof, Shun Club, Simbad (UK), Simple Pigeons, Skinny Dynamite, Slomote, Société Anonyme, Sokoto, Sons of Lioth, Stadt, Statue, Stikstof, Stuart Mavis (NL), STUFF., Stereoseat, Steven -Stevo Harpo- De Bruyn, Stracciatella, Submarine Moving Bell, Subtropics, Sunday Hangover, Surimi, Sustain, Silver Screen, Skatchou Bottos and the Dancing Boots, Streams, Strograss, SX, Syndrome, Team William, The Hourglass Instinct, The Van Jets, This Collusion, Tiger Lili, TND, Todiefor, Tom Frantzis, Tom Kestens, Triggerfinger, Tristan And His Kind, The Tubs, Uberdope, Uncle Wellington's Wives, Unik Ubik (FR), Up High Collective, Upperlip Orchestra, Van Dryver (NL), VARO, Vive La Fête, Vorace (FR), Vuurwerk, Wally, Wanna, Wantigga (NL), Wardrobe, Welvaert, Whiz, Whyes, WildHeart, Winther, Woodie Smalls, Wouter Deprez, YellowStraps, Zankover, Zimmerman, Zinger and many more.
- Mixed for Afterhours, Alianza CTG (COL), AME, Amoy Fanray, Blauwe Periode, Brihang, De Hoop, Desk, Dudes of Hazard, DVL, Grazzhoppa, Jerboa, Johan Sebastian, Kenji Minogue, LABtrio, Latin Fusion (COL), Lefto, Lize Accoe, Masilva (COL), Mc Melodee / La Melodia (NL), Moiano, Moonic (CZ), Netsky, OMNI (USA), Outspoken Members, Paper Fox, PT Crew, Prev, Roadburg, Shockproof, STUFF., Steven -Stevo Harpo- De Bruyn, Subtropics, Undefined, Wanna, Winther and many more.
- Produced for Amoy Fanray, Blauwe Periode, De Hoop, Donkey Diesel, Dudes of Hazard, Jerboa, Johan Sebastian, LABtrio, Lost Chord Radio, Outspoken Members, Paper Fox, Roadburg, STUFF., Undefined, Winther, Wondergarden and many more.
- Recorded for Amoy Fanray, Blauwe Periode, De Hoop, Dudes of Hazard, Jerboa, LABtrio, Lost Chord Radio, Lucinda Slim, Moiano, OMNI (USA), Outspoken Members, Paper Fox, Roadburg, STUFF., Winther and many more.
- Mixed live sound for Amoy Fanray, An Pierlé, Basta Bla, Blauwe Periode, Cumrats, Internal Sun, Jean-Paul Dessy, Krewcial, Lost Chord Radio, Paper Fox, Pomrad, Prev, PT Crew, Pudding oO, Shockproof, STUFF., Winther, Wouter Deprez and many more.
- Worked in Boma Studio, Caporal studio, Galaxy Studios, Gilligan's Island, ICP Studios, La Chapelle Studio, Midas Studio, Pink Flamingo Studio, Sugarbeat Studio, The Image & Sound Factory, The Sound Cabine and Toots.
Released three critically acclaimed & well-received full albums:
'Cuttin' Stylus' (2002), 'Music for my Instruments' (2005) and 'Rockit Fuel' (2007).
Released three EPs: 'Au Cinema' (2003), 'Eardrums the EP' (2004, in collaboration with LEFTO), and 'Dudes of Hazard - Photographic Fantasy' (2004).
- Collaborated as Jerboa with Alex Callier (Hooverphonic), AME (Afterhours), Bassman, Bert Ostyn (Absynthe Minded), Bram Weijters (Dez Mona), DVL (Afterhours), Grazzhoppa, Gunter Nagels (Donkey Diesel), JesseR (Fifty Foot Combo), Johannes Verschaeve (The Van Jets), Justina M Grado (CAN), Krewcial, Lefto, Lize Accoe (Delavega, Sweet Coffee, The Internationals), Mixmonster Menno (STUFF.), Omni (Tricky / USA), Steven Gillis (Fifty Foot Combo), Trixie Whitley and many more.
- Played Belgian concerts at Ancienne Belgique (2005, 2006, 2007), Blue Note / Gent Jazz (2007), Botanique (2007), Cactus Club (2006, 2009), De Roma (2007), Dour Festival (2004, 2007), Feest in het Park (2005, 2007, 2008), Handelsbeurs (2008), Petrol (2005, 2007), Pukkelpop (2006, 2007), Vooruit (2005, 2007, 2008), Trix (2008, 2009) and many more.
- Toured in Austria, the Czech Republic, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Poland and Switzerland.
- Opened for Amon Tobin, DJ Krush, DJ Scratch, DJ Shadow, Hooverphonic, Jimi Tenor, Non Phixion, Prefuse 73, Trentemöller and Yonderboy.
- Graduated from SAE Institute Rotterdam in June 2001 as Audio Engineer with Highest Honors & Best Practical of the Year.